Camp is a fun way to learn about horses, designed to introduce horsemanship to those new to horses, and enhance the skills of those with experience. Throughout the week, campers will learn through riding, working around the farm, caring for the animals, and seeing the operation of a horse farm.
Camps are held Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Each camp week is limited to 12 campers; the minimum is four. (Camp will be cancelled for the week if less than four campers are signed up.) The minimum age for camp is 6 years old.
Camp cost is $595 for the week. Discounts are available -- see below for payment information.
After-camp daycare, late pick-up, and additional lessons are available. Please inquire via email for rates and more information.
2018 Horsemanship Camp Schedule
- Dates Coming Soon.
- Dates Coming Soon.
Different Camp Details
Horsemanship 101 -- For first-time riders and first-time Little Burgundy Farm Horsemanship Camp attendees. Riders will learn how to groom, tack, ride bareback, the locomotion of the walk, and how to perform a posting trot; basic rider position and self-supportive exercises of the core and back; terminology of basic equipment and equine anatomy; stall and field orientation. Recommended ages 6 and up.
Horsemanship 102 -- Completion of Horsemanship 101 required for advancement onto this next level. In this level, the rider will perfect grooming and tacking effectively in groups; learn basic equine bio-mechanics and position for navigating over obstacles; rider position and its functionality as performed in an independent jumping position in both the walk and trot; active working farm maintenance, hay and grain nutrition to include an introduction to daily care and first aid. All exercises and challenges aim at developing rider balance and horse balance and therefore position. Recommended ages 9 and up.
Seat School -- Completion of Horsemanship 102 required for advancement onto this next level. Riders will perfect the proper rider position; use the rider position as a lever; focus on timing of forward driving and restraining aids in respect to the understanding of equine bio-mechanics of the walk, trot, and canter. Riders will learn ergonomic riding from an autonomous position and superior balance. This course includes in-depth riding with no stirrups and no reins. Recommended ages 9 and up.
Gymnastic Grids -- Completion of Seat School may be required for advancement onto this next level. Riders will focus on the basic understanding of equine muscle and ligament groups used in locomotion and lift; composition and the roles of the equine foot joints and structure; independent and effective use of position and timing aids to navigate obstacles. Riders will use the techniques from seat school to create vertical lift in addition to forward motion. Jumping with no stirrups and no reins is included. Recommended ages 12 and up.
Horse Trial -- Completion of Gymnastic Grids may be required for advancement onto this next level. Campers will compete for scores in formal dressage tests, stadium jumping courses and cross country course. Independent horse maintenance is required. Campers will be assigned a horse and will be responsible for that horse throughout the week to include grooming, feeding, lameness diagnostics, nutrition, first aid, and preventive care for the equine athlete. Riders who can canter a course of jumps will be allowed to learn cross-country. The last day, all riders will perform in an event and win ribbons. Recommended ages 14 and up.
- 2018 Horsemanship Camp cost is $595 per week.
- LBF Members Discount -- LBF Riding Club members receive an additional discount (must be an active riding club member to receive discount).
- Full payment is required at registration.
- Riding is not guaranteed each day and is weather permitting.
- There are no refunds for missed days due to changed work or vacation schedules, sick days, or other non-emergency reasons.
- Cancellation request received 21 or more days prior to the start date may receive a full refund, less a $50 processing fee per session.
- Request received 20 or fewer days prior to the start date are not eligible for a refund.
- If a medical emergency occurs during camp, a doctor's written verification will be needed within 24 hours for a pro-rated refund. Requests received after the camp session ends will not be granted.
- Refunds are not available for missed camp days because of: weather, changes in work schedules, vacations, etc.
How to Apply for Camp 2018:
Please Note: Camp Enrollment is not yet available for 2018.
- Click the "2018 Camp Enrollment Form" button below. (A Google Documents form should open in a new tab.)
- Fill out the form.
- Click Submit.
Please note, payment is required before your child is officially enrolled in camp.